11.9.11

Stoned.

Last tuesday, Dan and I set off up the canyon to collect logs to make our candlestick holders for our wedding. As we were up there, I started to feel really weird. My lower back was hurting and I was feeling really lightheaded and nauseated so I sat down at a picnic table to figure out what the heck was wrong! The pain started getting worse and worse in my lower back so Dan helped me get back in the car and we drove to an urgent care in provo.
The pain continued getting worse and worse as we drove, but as if by magic, by the time we got to the urgent care, I suddenly felt completely better and was embarrassed, thinking that I had made up that pain, so I told Dan that I wanted to go and not waste the doctor's time.
We carried on with our day activities and finished our candle stick holders (which look amazing!). As we were doing that though i started feeling crapy and realized that this isn't normal. I had Dan take me back to the urgent care (felt bad, he had to drive me all over), saw the doctor and he told me that I have kidney stones. Kidney stones?? I had to get a CT scan just to be sure and yep, I had a kidney stone.  (and i threw up all over the hospital parking lot... i think i killed the grass in 3 different spots)
The doctor told me that it was small enough to be able to pass it on my own. Gave me some painkillers and a prostate relaxer (yah i know.... it was supposed to help) and sent me on my way.
For the next few days I put up with the waves of pain. Jana would come over every night so I wouldn't be alone, which was great of her.  And I just waited around to pass the stone...

By the time Sunday came, I was really not feeling well. I could barely move, no matter how I sat or laid or stood my back was in agonizing pain. Every time I got up to use the bathroom (and use my funnel-strainer) would end with me throwing up...  I didn't make it to church, instead i made it to the ER.
Dan drove me, checked in, got shot up with morphine (which still wasnt strong enough to even budge the pain), had an ultrasound (also i made a funny joke and had dan text my mom saying that it wasn't kidney stones, it was actually just morning sickness ...she didn't find that funny), and also got put into my own hospital room with a magic button that i could press every ten minutes to get dilaudid (a pain killer 10x stronger than morphine).
This is me getting rolled away to my room, thank you dan for taking this lovely picture.

Monday morning the doctor came in and told me that stupid kidney stone hadn't moved at all since I had the CT scan and that was causing lots of problems so he said he wanted to preform a uteroscopic kidney stone removal. They knocked me out, and when I woke up, I had a nurse standing right there holding a bucket in my face trying to get me to look at my 3mm stone. I remember thinking, get that out of my face. (anesthesia makes me grouchy)
That little dot caused SO much agony.

Dan and Jana were in my room when I got back up to my room. Pain was gone. And then I spent the rest of that day and the next recovering in the hospital. My mom had such a kick telling everyone i gave birth to a 3mm stone named "Spike" lol. My dad also joked around sent me a text asking if he'll grow up to be a "hockey player, or just the puck?"
Hahaha me right after surgery.

My first time getting to eat in 24 hours!!

So so happy (and hungry)
A stent was left in me to avoid infection... and having that removed was not a very "fun" experience either, but ever since then i feel great.

So, that is what we have been up to. As of this moment, I feel a million times better, and getting better each day. I still cannot believe I had a kidney stone.

1 comment:

  1. lauren, this is so sad! I'm so sorry you had to experience this, but I'm glad things are better :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...